Welcoming (the first week of) July

I started July by downloading The Gay Divorcee and finishing off The Temple of Doom. Then I saw A Streetcar Named Desire, watched the trailer for Marathon Man, knew for the first time that the actress who played Scarlett O’Hara suffered bipolar disorder, remembered that Sleuth is one of the movies I must watch ASAP, and finally stumbled upon the site vivandlarry.com.




Indeed all these things are in many ways related to the couple Vivien Leigh and Laurence Olivier. The first time I heard about them, I instantly mused about how beautiful both of them were. More than that, I was intrigued by their lives, their relationship and most importantly roles in the Golden Age of Hollywood. My curiosity led me to vivandlarry.com, and I have to say, I’m amazed by the amount of dedication made by Kendra to her site. She had even visited the places where Vivien and Larry used to live! It is, I agree, the best site for all Viv and Larry fans out there wanting to search for information or photos or montages about the couple.


With my interest being tickled as I browsed Kendra’s site, I clicked on a rather interesting button that said The Vivien Leigh and Laurence Olivier Appreciation Blog-a-thon. In an instant I joined the blogathon, feeling as excited as ever. And by how will I contribute to the blogathon? Talking about their films, of course! I chose three movies; one with Vivien Leigh in it, another with Laurence Olivier in it, and the last one with both of them in it.  Simple, isn't it?

And so, my choices go to Storm in a Teacup (1937), which has Vivien as it main actress, and Sleuth (1972), which has Laurence as it main actor, and That Hamilton Woman (1941), with both Viv and Larry playing as a historical couple (this last film really excites me because it's based on the true story of Lady Emma, Hamilton, which I happen to adore).

The blogathon starts from 9th to 10th of July, which is this Saturday, and I will be putting all my effort to get the selected films, watch them attentively and review them in less than 36 hours. And then start the blogathon-- My very first blogathon! For the beautiful, lovely couple that is Vivien Leigh and Laurence Olivier (But of course, Fred Astaire and Ginger Rogers always have my heart).


So, who is Vivien Leigh?

Vivien Leigh, Lady Olivier, was born on the fifth of November 1913. She's listed as the 16th greatest female screen legend by the American Film Institute. Her most notable films are probably Gone With the Wind and A Streetcar Named Desire, among others.

She was married to Laurence Olivier from 1940 to 1960.

She suffered bipolar disorder, which greatly affected her career and personal life. She died on the 7th of July 1967.


And who is Laurence Olivier?

Laurence Kerr Olivier, Baron Olivier, was born on May 22nd 1907, a highly regarded stage and screen actor. All his life he had achieved numerous awards from the Academy Awards, the Golden Globe, Emmy Awards, BAFTA, and more. He received two honorary awards and is listed as the 14th greatest male actor by the American Film Institute.

He's famous for his roles in Wuthering Heights, Bunny Lake Is Missing, Sleuth, Marathon Man, and his adaptations of Shakespeare's plays and Greek's tragedies.

He died on July 11th 1989 from renal failure, and like Vivien, was cremated.

3 comments:

  1. I can't wait to read your thoughts on those films (Sleuth being my favorite out of the three)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can't wait to read the rest. Sounds very good. storm in a teacup is a good movie. Keep up the great work:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. That Hamilton Woman was the very first Viv and Larry film I ever saw, absolutely adored it! Vivien was spectacular and Larry was ridiculously handsome :) Have fun watching all three!

    ReplyDelete